Acoustic Electronic "synthesizer" and external audio effect processor with cv control. Little sister of the Resonant Garden.
The Nano Garden is an acoustic-electronic hybrid designed to create anything from beats and oddities to dense sound scapes. From its inception in 2006, the original garden has gone through many changes and refinements: micro garden, luminist garden and illuminist garden and finally this latest and likely final version of what is essentially an expanded micro garden.
The Nano Garden essentially utilizes a single Alter circuit with 7 effects selected specifically for this instrument. Each is also equipped with a mic pre-amp, and 2 garden (stringed) panels for generating acoustics. By plucking, rubbing, tapping or even bowing, those micro-acoustic sounds become amplified and effected by the Alter in any number of ways. In essence, the garden is a large microphone designed to pick up vibrations. Aside from the internal mic, the nano can be used to process external signals with any of the internal effects as well.
Note that the Nano is shown in copper but is only available in gold.
There is a single Alter in the Nano which has seven different DSP effects, selected by touching the copper hexagon. The effect list is different than either Alter 1 or 2 - these are selected specifically for the Nano (this selection is subject to change):
1 - long delay (capable of near infinite feedback looping
2 - tight, notated granular delay
3 - huge plate reverb
4 - choral reverb
5 - palindrome reverse delay - backward/forward repeat
6 - pitch delay
7 - time stretch/glitch
- control for the gain of the mic pre-amp or any incoming audio.
- controls for mix, X, Y and filter as well as clock.
- all effects have a variation of a filter which may change effect to effect.
- X and Y control various rates.
- clock control adjusts the rate which controls the DSP which can drastically change the effect. In doing so it does slightly lower the quality of the output signal but the results are fantastic. This clock is not for synchronization.
- mix, X, Y and filter all have CV control inputs.
- Each control level or cv input is visualized on the control panel.
Each garden panel is equipped with a contact mic. A contact mic is designed to pick up vibration. The mic pre-amp is specifically designed to deal with the frequencies of the contact mic by boosting certain frequencies and dulling others in order to optimize the sound quality. The mic pre-amp has a gain control so the level can be adjusted according to how you intend to play.
The design is simple but beautiful with all of the artwork created by Arius Blaze. The box is thick bamboo with anodized black aluminum rails to mount the 2mm monolithic panels. Each spout of strings is bolted in from the back and held in place with a panel under the main board.
- Power Supply: 12V positive tip AC Adapter (included) - US - 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.6A