Matter II may be our most beautiful and fully contemplated module to date. It takes the original analog drum-wave synthesis of the original Matter and simplifies patching while also adding possibilities. By nature, it is in a way less experimental than the original Matter but there's massive room for experimentation and this version opens possibilities that would be much more difficult if not impossible to accomplish on the original.
It utilizes a pin matrix - a single point patch bay that allows you to connect points without the use of cables. Included are gold 2mm banana plugs and these are easily replaceable. On the front panel there are extra entries (holes) to hold extra, inactive pins. The pin matrix allows access to the sound generation to create anything from beats to drone to noise and Matter ii is fully capable of processing external audio with fuzz, filtering and heavy distortion. With the addition of a vactrol, these drones, noise or even processed audio can be cut or modulated with any gate, trigger or CV source.
The three sections include two 18 point matrices, a knob, CV over that knob, and v+ input which triggers or modulates the sound generation. The knobs essentially function as "resist", the sidekick module originally created for Matter. This allows you to blend and mix sounds/drums/processing and makes the variety of sound and possibilities much more expansive. We've added CV to these knobs so external CV or gates can control the changes. The center of each matrix illuminates to indicate the position of the knob/CV.
Additionally, if you own an original Matter: know that these can work together. A future 2HP expansion sends all 18 Matter matrix points to dupont. Patching Matters together (new or old) can yield some amazing and often strange results and can double your level of processing external audio.
Matter II is designed to allow for expansion cards; you'll see a representative test-card in the photos above. These are thick 1.6mm boards which set on top of the faceplate. The top panel allows access to the power and circuitry which can allow Matter II to becoming anything an engineer or experimenter can dream up. It can add reverb or delay, multi-triggering, modulation or sequencing.
- Higher output level than the original Matter (10V peak to peak)
- 3 drum wave sections determine sound.
- each matrix connects to one side of control knob to shape and blend sound.
- CV control over each knob.
- Using more than one pin per matrix makes direct connections which will generate drone.
- Audio to any or all of the three V+ inputs which would usually be designed to trigger sound, will then convert the matrix as well as the shape control into audio processing.
- The vactrol cuts audio out and audio will then only pass when the vactrol accepts CV or gates.
INS AND OUTS
- 3x V+ (CV or gate) inputs with light indication
- 3x control pots each with CV with light indication displayed on matrix
- 6x single point patch pin matrix
- Audio output with light indication
- Vactrol input over audio output with light indication
- Includes printed manual, 2mm banana plugs (pins), power connection in a beautiful Folktek box.
- View the online product manual
+ 12v = 90ma
-12v = 20ma
+5v = 0ma
Width = 18HP
1" depth (skiff friendly)